Accessing Information in LOTR
The public can search Land Owner Transparency Registry (LOTR) by using myLTSA Explorer. Similar to land title search fees, a LOTR search fee of $5.00 per search applies. The search function will be available after LOTR is introduced.
The public can search LOTR by an individual’s name or by A number that uniquely identifies a parcel of land in the land title register of BC. parcel identifier (PID) . A search of an individual will show the interests in land to which the person is an interest holder or settlor. A search by PID will show the people who are interest holders or The entity that establishes a trust. settlors for that land.
Some information will not be included in public searches. For example, birthdates and social insurance numbers are not made public. The public will also not be able to access any information about individuals who:
- are under 19 years of age,
- are deemed incapable of managing their own financial affairs,
- submit an application (and supporting records, information and verifications) to omit their information from public access due to a health or safety risk, or
- have been registered in the LOTR system for 90 days or less.
As specified in the Land Owner Transparency Act, only these entities can access all the information in LOTR:
- under Section 31, an enforcement officer or a ministry official or employee
- under Section 32, an official or employee of a taxing authority
- under Section 33, an officer within the meaning of the Police Act or a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- under Section 34, an official or employee of a regulator
Information Contained in LOTR
LOTR will contain identification and contact information about A relevant corporation, a trustee of a relevant trust or a partner of a relevant partnership that is required to file a transparency report under LOTA.reporting body and The containing element directly above the current element in the DOM treeinterest holders of land in BC. The following information is required:
For each interest holder:
- Full name, date of birth, social insurance number, individual tax number (if any), location of principal residence and last known address;
- Date on which the individual became or ceased to be an interest holder;
- A description of how the individual is an interest holder
- Whether or not the individual is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- If the individual is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, every country or state in which the individual is a citizen;
- If the individual’s principal residence is in Canada, the city and province in which that principal residence is located;
- If the individual’s principal residence is outside Canada, the city and country in which that principal residence is located.
For corporations and limited liability companies:
- The corporation’s or company’s name, and registered office address
- If the corporation or company has a head office, the head office address;
- The jurisdiction in which the corporation or company was incorporated, organized or formed;
- If the corporation or company has been continued or transferred into another jurisdiction, the jurisdiction into which the corporation or company was most recently continued or transferred.
For relevant partnerships:
- The partnership’s registered business name;
- The type of partnership (e.g. general partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, professional partnership, foreign partnership or a legal relationship created in another jurisdiction that is similar to a legal relationship listed);
- The partnership’s registered address or head office address, as applicable;
- The address of the partnership’s principal business premises;
- The jurisdiction, the laws of which govern either the partnership or, if the partnership has a partnership agreement, the interpretation of the partnership agreement.
Fees for Accessing Information
|Statutory Service under the Land Owner Transparency Act||Customer Fee|
Inspection of transparency records or search of reporting information by:
|Search of publicly accessible information under section 35 of the Act.||$5.00|
Copy of or extract from