Land Transparency. Protected.
The first-of-its kind in Canada, Land Owner Transparency Register (LOTR) is a registry of information about individuals who are deemed to have an indirect interest in land (e.g. through corporations, trusts and partnerships) which is housed in a searchable, public database.
Are you required to file to LOTR? These questions will help you to understand when a filing is required.
The Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) is responsible for developing and operating LOTR, as set out in the Land Owner Transparency Act (LOTA). Since the initial legislation received Royal Assent, LTSA has dedicated resources to ensuring LOTR is successful, including technology development to integrate LOTR into the myLTSA system, and communications outreach to ensure property owners, real estate and legal professionals are aware of their obligations within LOTA.
When to Consult a Legal Professional
The below list offers some examples of when you should consult a legal professional regarding your interest in land ownership.
- You are an owner of a corporation, trust or partnership that has a legal interest in land in BC (for example, an investment in commercial or residential real estate)
- You are a part owner of a company which is a part owner of another company which has a legal interest in land in BC
- Your company, which is based either inside or outside of BC, invests in real estate in BC
- There are changes to your company’s ownership, and your company has a legal interest in land in BC
- You or your company is transferring ownership of all or part of a legal interest in land in BC
- You have just purchased or inherited land in BC, such as a house or condo
- You are acting as executor on an estate which has a legal interest in land in BC
- You are not sure if you or your company needs to submit a transparency declaration or a transparency report
- You need help submitting a transparency declaration or transparency report, or an application to omit/change information
The Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) is responsible for developing and operating LOTR. For assistance please complete the form below.